Client: Google Quantum AI
Location: Santa Barbara, CA, United States
Completion date: 2020
Google Quantum AI
Principal Laser Wrangler
WE TRANSFORMED A WAREHOUSE INTO A TEMPLE TO AMPLIFY THE CULTURE OF INNOVATION IN THE QUANTUM COMPUTING SPACE
– Google Quantum AI chose to work in an ongoing artistic collaboration with DRAWEVERYWHERE to transform the warehouse into a bright and bold working environment. Dr. Erik Lucero, Quantum Campus site lead, brought on Forest Stearns of DRAWEVERYWHERE to be the principal artist and creative advisor responsible for meeting this objective.
Stearns and Lucero co-founded the Artist in Residence program to be the continued vehicle to drive the detail oriented artistic collaborations across large scale buildout of the GQ2 laboratory and expanded campus. Through multiple phases and a wide range collaborators, the artist and the scientist dove into a creative partnership that interwove their collective passions, each bringing their professional knowledge and experience to the drawing board. The beautiful large scale productions inspire the quantum mechanics within their state of the art working environment. The ongoing shoulder to shoulder experiences connect the triad of science, art and design in order to amplify the internal culture in real time.
- Inspire contemplation and wonder in the world-class Quantum laboratory with the production of bold artworks.
- Amplify the culture of innovation with ongoing facilitated creative experiences and curated exhibitions.
- Collaborate directly with the Quantum scientists to illuminate their unique scientific achievements.
It takes countless hours of conversations, study, and conceptualization, to successfully plan the production of the individual pieces and the overall experience. Each piece starts in a sketchbook through the indispensable practice of drawing. Hundreds of sketches are created as studies, working out the elements to dozens of possible compositions. This is where the dynamic choices are made, where the failures are leaned into, and where the energy of the overall pieces are conceived. It is the unseen coming of age of these final exhibited pieces, way before the artists gather supplies and climb the scaffolding. The magic is in the drawing.
Whether the huge pieces are produced shoulder to shoulder with the contributing scientists directly onto the walls within the institution or working solo in the artist’s studio, each piece has a story that is best told from sketches, through the time lapse, to the final piece supporting the overall intention of the space.
- LARGE MURAL PRODUCTION
- MULTIMEDIA ILLUSTRATIONS:
- HARDWARE PHOTOGRAPHY:
- MURALS WRAPPING THE INDIVIDUAL QUANTUM CRYOSTATS
- LIVE ART PIECES REPRESENTING QUANTUM HARDWARE
- ILLUMINATED PORTRAITS OF TEAM FOR WEB
- INDUSTRIAL DESIGN AND FABRICATION
- SURFACE DESIGN
DISCRIPTION OF PIECES CREATED IN THE COLLABORATION: Celebration of nature through abstract expressionism; From the zoomed out macro views of legendary outdoor landscapes all the way into to micro landscapes of electrons, these vibrant murals, illustrations are inspired by nature's language of quantum mechanics.